Sunday 3 July 2011

Keluarga Saya di Yogyakarta

For those of you who have started reading the entries in chronological order would soon realise that this entry, will not be as dramatic, but it will not be any less insightful. If you reading this entry as your first few, it will get better. I guarantee you that because teman-teman saya, are very interesting people! =)

Many of us out there, love the idea of travelling. But what makes the Immersion Programme all the more special? It is theHomestay part of the entire trip. I think there is mixed responses to the homestay. Depending on our personality and very much our luck, it could turn out to the be either the best or the worst part of a trip. In fact, I was pretty apprehensive about the Immersion because I had tremendous fear of how it would be like to stay with complete strangers. So making the decision to go for the Immersion was not an easy one. But, I am truly glad to have gone for it!

To stay in pretty upmarket hotels and visit touristy sights are certainly on every To-Do List when we travel. But it is definitely difficult to truly experience and immerse ourselves in a completely different culture. So I have been babbling three paragraphs, so what is the point that I am driving? Well, THE HOMESTAY EXPERIENCE IS FANTASTIC!

Unfortunately, I did not get to stay in Yogyakarta as long as the others had. I had to leave earlier due to prior commitments but that did not make me experience any less! =) So let me take the next 5 minutes of your time to tell you why you should not be worried about the Homestay!

Firstly, your Homestay Family will do their best to accommodate you. I definitely know this because I do not take diary products and I do not take beef and I never had to worry about it! So my Homestay Family took care in ensuring that I definitely have something to eat! =) (Well, food is a vital part of my existence and I did expect to lose weight in Yogyakarta, which I obviously did not. You will find out in a couple more lines=))

Secondly, you will definitely not go hungry. Why? For starters, for someone who skips breakfast, I learnt what Breakfast entailed. For someone who did not bring packed lunch-boxes to school when I was younger, I sort of experienced it! It was a really sweet gesture by the way. But it also happened that my Homestay Family was really sweet! =)

So check out the following for what is in store for a typical breakfast we had in the morning!
20110702-215454.jpg

Part of every breakfast, apart from the food is the oh-so-important beverage! We could definitely help ourselves to the Coffee/Tea/Water, but there will always be a Today's Special kind of juice prepared for us. We tried all sorts of combination juice during our stay and it was a really nice addition to our breakfast. Especially when it is freshly blended! Yes, the word is right, it is blended and not just juiced! So all the fibre remains in the drink itself. A bit strange in the beginning, but we did realise the benefits of all the fibres. So check out the following Juz Mangga!
20110702-215533.jpg

Roti Isi Krim Blueberry!
20110702-215610.jpg

Pisang Goreng,
20110702-215710.jpg

Before I go onto introducing anything else further, the Blueberry Cream Bread and Pisang Goreng is something that the Ibu always prepare for us when we head out for school/excursion. She prepares it because she knows we will be hungry and so the bread will come in handy. This practice never stops even when we went for our excursion. That is when she prepared the Banana Fritter for our journey. How sweet is that? =) It just brings a smile to know that I was that looked after when I was away from home. In a weird way, I just feel young all over again, for someone to just fuss over us!

So the sandwich is typical of a day's breakfast, but we also had Nasi Goreng occassionally and even Bubur Ayam. It does seem that our Breakfast was always a great big fanfare. More so at dinner. Which I believe you can read about in ZhiXin's posts somewhere below! =) So check out the Indonesian porridge we tried!
20110702-215834.jpg
I realised that for the so many pictures of food that I always take, I left out the important Egg. There will be an egg for each of us every morning. Be it hard-boiled or sunny-side up, there will be an egg. Which explains the weight gained during our trip!

So, it may seem strange to you that I chose to illustrate my Homestay experience with the Breakfast that I had throughout my Immersion. But I hope to give you an alternative perspective of the warmth of the Homestay Family's hospitality. I could not ask for more. The Breakfast is just one of many things that I have experience with them and I could never ask for a better trip. I knew that when I felt homesick during the Excursion, not for my home in Singapore but for my home in Yogyakarta. Surprising isn't it?

There is so much more to share about the Yogyakarta's experience and I hope the find a chance to write it in the Group's blog. I had written some of my own Yogyakarta's experiences in my personal blogs. Do let me know somehow if you want to find out more and I will be more than willing to share my experiences with all! =)

So let me end this post by introducing Keluarga Saya di Yogyakarta,
20110702-215915.jpg

1 comment: