Tuesday 21 June 2011

My Yogyakarta Experience: The Water Heater That Is Really a Gas Stove

The video (below) shows the water heater that I used for bathing at my homestay family’s (my other friends didn’t enjoy warm bathing water except on the excursion but that’s beside the point – they would have their own experiences to share about bathing daily with a huge tub of water and a scoop).

So, the title of the video should have given you clear ideas about the workings of this particular water heater – it works like a gas stove. When I turn on the hot water tap sufficiently, the heater will perform its fire-spewing ability and heat up the water before letting it come through the shower head!








WHICH WAS REALLY SCARY, I must say. The first day I used it, I thought something exploded! I was still shocked by it on the second day. And mildly disturbed in the days after. After all, fire-spewing isn’t something I’m used to back in Singapore.

When I posted this on Facebook, my friend asked if I tried cooking an egg with it? Ridiculous really (how was I supposed to do that?!) but hilarious for her to come up with such a suggestion.

On hindsight, I’m glad I didn’t do stupid things with it because I suspect it’s antique material after reading the eldest son’s comment on my video on Facebook,

“Hahahahahaha,,I think you would not find that kind of water heater anymore in Singapore (^^) I can’t even remember when my mom bought it XP”

The process of bathing was arduous because with a stove-like heater, the temperature keeps increasing (that’s how stoves work!). I took very very long to bathe each time because halfway through I would have to readjust the water temperature until it becomes comfortably warm and not scorching hot (actually that would have been sufficient for me to cook an egg really...).



Sometimes I can smell the gas which is mildly disturbing, because in Singapore if I smell that I usually think of 3 things: someone wants to commit suicide, someone forgot to switch off the stove or there is gas leak somewhere somehow – and then *suffocates* *explodes* *OMG*.



Scary thoughts really. At least I got my warm/hot/scorching hot bathing water...



Khoo Choon Yen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment